NSW Government releases 2016 Statement of Opportunities
Building on the momentum and progress made in 2015, the NSW Government has released the 2016 Statement of Opportunities.
The statement identifies policy areas where the Government believes social impact investment may be able to achieve better outcomes for NSW communities. It aims to help the social impact investing market understand where there may be opportunities for future transactions with the NSW Government.
Three priority areas headline the statement
The statement includes three priority areas for future social impact investment transactions:
- Increasing permanency for children in out-of-home care, particularly through open adoption.
- Establishing an Aboriginal Centre for Excellence in Western Sydney.
- Increasing access to early childhood education.
For each of these areas, the statement outlines the issue that we want to address and identifies the outcomes that may be sought through social impact investment. The information is provided to help interested stakeholders think about the opportunities to develop and structure solutions to some of these issues.
Other areas are also being explored
Other areas the Government is also interested in exploring further include:
- Homelessness among veterans
- Improving waste management
- Road safety
- Domestic and family violence.
More information on these areas will be made available in due course.
Consultation forums are planned for mid-2016
A series of market sounding events will be held in coming months for interested parties to learn more and provide feedback on the identified opportunities. These events will offer a chance to learn more about social impact investment, the policy areas of interest, and the process for developing a transaction with the NSW Government.
The first of these events will be an industry and stakeholder forum for an Aboriginal Centre for Excellence in Western Sydney, hosted by Aboriginal Affairs NSW on 21 April 2016. Learn more >>
More information about other events will be provided on this website as it becomes available.
- SMH - Baird government to tap private investors to boost preschool attendance in NSW (17/4/16)
- NSW Government media release - NSW to expand social impact investment program (17/4/16)
- The Mandarin - NSW releases new social impact investment priority areas (19/4/16)
- Pro Bono Australia - NSW releases new social benefit bonds opportunities (20/4/16)